This Laboratory is basically catering the needs of Irrigation Department by carrying out the physical hydraulic model studies on spillways, Weirs, Head Regulators, protective works causeways, bridge, river training and control works, canals and related works and sump pump studies of thermal power stations etc. The model studies were carried out for hydraulic parameters like adequacy of vent way, efficiency of energy dissipation arrangements, measurement of pressure on spillway profile, verification of Coefficient of Discharge (Cd), Gate operation schedule, Optimal length of divide wall, Upstream and Downstream protection works etc.
This laboratory also undertake the computer based hydrology problems like computation of back water studies. In addition to the above, this laboratory is maintaining Hydro Meteorological Station where in the various Hydro Meteorological parameters like wind velocity and direction, sunshine hours, humidity, evaporation, daily temperature and rain fall data is being collected .
The hydrology laboratory contains an Indoor and Outdoor laboratory, Hydro meteorological station, and computer section.
In the indoor laboratory 2-Dimensional hydraulic models will be constructed and investigated in wind free conditions with limited space and limited discharges when highly sensitive data is essential. This laboratory is equipped with water circulating pumps, flumes, Tail channels, Notches etc. Water drawl facility is also available from Himayatsagar lake as and when required.
2-Dimensional models and 3-Dimensional model will be taken up in outdoor laboratory when maximum space and discharge are needed. To supply water for the models a re-circulatory channel of length 250mts and width 3mts is equipped with flumes, notches, shutters, tail channels and pump room with following pumps are available.
1. Electrical pump sets 30 H.P 3 Nos
2. Diesel pump sets 48 H.P 1 No
3. Electrical pump sets 20 H.P 1 No
4. Electrical pump sets 10 H.P 3 Nos
5. Electrical pump sets 7.5 H.P 2 Nos
Other scientific equipments for measuring velocities, discharge, depth, pressure etc are also available in the laboratory.
HYDRO METEOROLOGICAL STATION:
Hydro meteorological station is equipped with the following instruments for collection of hydro meteorological data.
The software for carrying out computer oriented Hydrology problems like back water computations have been developed by these laboratories. Back water computations will be done to know the area of submergence . Advanced computers are also installed in the laboratory for computations and analysis of experimental data. Advanced software is also installed for drawings, pictures etc required in the preparation of model reports.
IMPORTANT WORKS DONE IN THE LABORATORY
Recent Important works completed:
1. Kaleshwaram Project- Sundilla Barrage(Parvathi Barrage)- 2D and 3D model studies
2. Kaleshwaram Project- Annaram Barrage(Saraswati Barrage)- 2D and 3D model studies
3. Mid Manair reservoir Project- 3D model studies
4. Backwater computational studies of Polavaram project for PMF of 50,00000 cusecs
5. Back Water Studies of Pranahita Chevella Lift Irrigation Scheme (Package -3).
6. Back Water Studies Pulichintala Project.
Important works completed in the past:
1. Polavaram Project- 3D model studies
2. Nagarjuna sagar Dam- 2D and 3D model studies
3. Prakasham Barrage- 2D and 3D model studies
4. Srisailam Dam Model studies
5. Lower Manair Dam- 2D and 3D model studies
6. Thota Pallay Barrage- 3D model studies
Dignitaries visited TSERL:
1) Dignitaries from CWPRS visited TSERL on Polavaram Project
2) Kaleshwaram Project authorities visited this office
3) Hussain sagar project authorities visited this office
List of IS Codes :
1. IS 14955- Guidelines for hydraulic model studies of barrage and weirs
2. IS 6934- Hydraulic design of high ogee overflow spillways
3. IS 3912- Specifications for sounding rods- Functional requirements
4.IS 6512- criteria for Design of solid gravity dams
5. IS 11130-1984 Criteria for structural design of barrages and weirs
6. IS 11527-2013 Structural design of energy dissipators
7. IS 11772-2009 Design of drainage arrangements of energy dissipaters and training walls of spillways
8. IS 12720-2004 Criteria for structural design of spillway training walls and divide walls
9.IS 12731-1989 Hydraulic Design of impact type energy dissipaters
10. IS 13195-1991 Preliminary design, operation and maintainance of protection works downstream of
11. IS 4997-1968 Criteria for design of hydraulic jump type stilling basin with horizontal end slope
12. IS 6966-1973 Hydraulic design of barrage and weirs- Guidelines
13. IS 1194-1960 Measurement of flow of water in open channels
14. IS 1192-1993 Measurement of flow of water in open channels
15. IS 7323-1994 Guidelines for operation of reservoirs
16. IS3918-1966 Use of current meters for flow measurements
17. IS 4073-1967 Specification of fish weights
18. IS 1527- 1985 Criteria for structural design of energy dissipaters for spillways
19. IS 9108-1979, Liquid flow measurements in open channels using thin plate weirs
20. IS 9922- 1981, Guide lines for selection of method of measuring flow in open channels